What happens if I think my child needs more time in Kinder before going to school?

In some cases, children can repeat their second year of Kindergarten. To be eligible, your child’s teacher must believe that your child has a delay in two or more key areas and would benefit from a second year of 4-year-old Kindergarten. If you agree, they will complete a ‘Declaration of Eligibility’ for an additional year of Kinder which is sent to the Department.

If your child turns six in their first or second year of four-year-old Kindergarten, you must get an exemption from school from Department of Education.